SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#95121 - 12/12/04 07:58 AM My song, "Questions" posted
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I have posted a couple of raw guitar/vocal demos at...
Songramp .

A song on there, "Questions"... just wondering what people think of this song. Man, I have written so many songs but I dunno, when a melody keeps running through my mind, that's a good sign. But I cannot be objective. I've had this hook "questions for Dad" flying around in my mind for like two years. A song finally came to me. But I ended the song with "questions for Mom," as well, as I thought it would be a better song if some "hope" or good news ended the song. Rather than just regret.

I'm trying to write the best songs I can, to appeal to the most people. Like a professional songwriter would strive for. Because I want to pitch songs to publishers. Odds are one in a million but I'm going to try.

So, if you have any opinion, yay or nay, about the commercial potential of this song, thanks. And you won't hurt my feelings, I have hundreds of songs, so I favor an honest opinion. Thanks!

P.S. There is a song on there "Daily Bread." Just a whimsical song, I had no intent for it to be anything more than a song for a friend. His daughter, Lilly had a praying mantis and a bird ate it. I wrote a silly song about it. Heck, it's almost like a children's song except I guess you don't write about "the pet gets killed" for kids.

Very raw demos.

#95122 - 12/13/04 09:27 AM Re: My song, "Questions" posted
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Bill-

I enjoyed "Questions" quite a bit. Your voice very much suits that kind of material.

From a critical point of view, I'd offer two suggestions to consider:

1) Develop a bridge or C section to break up the verses. Other than they lyrics, there's not much that reveals the beginning, middle or end of the piece. Commonly, a tune will grow and develop through the course of its length. Consider a more spare strumming style for the 1st verse or so...then into a finger picking style, then by the end, all out strumming perhaps? Adding a bridge or possible a key change would make this nice tune even better.

2) Recording wise, it seems the vocal is a tad hot for the guitar. It seems to me that the guitar is NOT loud enough in the mix, rather than saying the vocal is too loud.

Only other thought woudl be to add a touch more reverb to your vocal...just a bit...not much...

Good work!

Bill in Dayton

#95123 - 12/15/04 09:36 AM Re: My song, "Questions" posted
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Oops, I didn't know anyone had replied. Thanks, Bill.

This is just a rough demo and I dang sure don't know what I'm doing, recording-wise. Slowly learning how to twist some knobs.

I've done a re-write to tighten up a few phrases, some minor tweaking, changed a line or two. I'll consider everything you said. I don't know if it needs a bridge. I get tired of the same old, same old... verse / chorus / verse / chorus / bridge / break / chorus. Somes songs don't need a bridge. I'll ponder on that.

I did is just for a rough demo to get the song across.

#95124 - 12/16/04 06:03 AM Re: My song, "Questions" posted
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
As you say, this is just a rough demo, and the song itself is written and performed in a very heartfelt way. It expresses a lot of things that most of us feel, so the premise of the song is very valid and is just what is required if a song is to appeal to, for want of a better word, the masses.

I think you have what's known as a "lived-in" voice, you have texture, which I think will record very well in a professional studio.

I agree with Bill in Dayton's comments re. arrangement, construction, levels and such, but you do have the basics down solid here. I wish you much success in your endeavours.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online